Friday, February 6, 2009

OBJECTION! A very special introduction to Ace Attorney

I've previously been very picky when it comes to playing games. I don't know how to categorize the list of games that I've played, but a small sampling of the titles would be: every Pokemon game ever, Hamtaro Ham-Ham Heartbreak, Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Tiny Toon Adventures Buster and the Beanstalk, and, of course the three Phoenix Wright games.


















I love Capcom's Phoenix Wright series. Any video game that has me crying, laughing, screaming, and frantically searching for walkthroughs at the same time, has potential to be the Best Game Ever in my book. When I choose an anime to watch, I generally go for the titles that have interesting characters. I found out this transfers to video games when I met the love of my life: Phoenix. Last summer, when I switched on my Nintendo DS and was immediately the defense attorney for a suspected murderer...I wondered how exactly can something like this be fun? You're not watching the murder. You're not investigating the murder. You're only pointing your finger at the witness stand and shooting your mouth off, right?

Right?

This is the way I describe Phoenix Wright to my friends. Me: "You get to play as a defense lawyer!"

Friend: "Oh really? That sounds boring."

Me: "The first game has a more interesting plot than all four Twilight books put together."

Friend: "Oh really? That sounds boring."

Just kidding! In all seriousness, the plots of each episode (referred to as "Turnabouts") are mind boggling, hilarious, and highly engaging. It helps to have a vibrant cast of (anime-like) characters. It also helps that you don't play as just a defense attorney. The police detectives, witnesses, and even the prosecutors don't always do their job. It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's SUPERLAWYER! The player finds all the evidence themselves...and even meets with witnesses beforehand. When in court, the player cross-examines witnesses, points out contradictions, and presents evidence in order to prove the defendant innocent.

A typical day for Phoenix Wright:








Although originally made for Gameboy Advance, I played all three games (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney-Justice for All, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney-Trials and Tribulations) on Nintendo DS. Hardly any DS features were added to the gameplay, with the exception of a special bonus Turnabout added to the first game which involved using the touchscreen for fingerprinting.

Okay, that in no way summarized anything about the series. But this can:












That is what Phoenix Wright is all about.

That, however, is not what Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney is all about. You see, they replaced the beloved Phoenix as the main character in the fourth game of what is actually called the Ace Attorney series. So...I'm going to be blogging about my adventures in the world of Apollo Justice. I certainly hope he gives me as much joy as Phoenix did.


No comments:

Post a Comment