Sunday, February 22, 2009

Those spikes on your head are softer than they look

The rules of Apollo Justice aren't necessarily the same rules that apply in a court of law. One type of rule, called interplay rules, determines the physical laws, relationships, and properties of the elements of the game. How a person feels playing the game is directly related to what the rules allow you to do or not do.
And right now, I am wondering why the game has an implicit rule that you can't throw things at stupid people. I mean, honestly, why is the bailiff letting Trucy walk into court hiding a knife-wielding ventriloquist dummy under her cape?! I feel like Apollo is the only one being restricted in this game. During the investigation sessions, the player can only explore the still frame, caricaturistic areas set in the game. The player can examine dozens of odd items and scenery within the specific areas, but Apollo is the one who ultimately decides what to record as possible evidence.



















I suppose that without this rule, there's no way I would get anything done. Actually, each time Apollo finds a piece of evidence or is able to get a certain character to spill the beans while investigating, another piece of the puzzle is unlocked. I can't get Phoenix to return to his hospital room until I've gotten Detective Skye to confess her relationship with him. And I can't get Skye to confess her relationship until I've presented evidence that suggests I am working for Phoenix Wright.

That being said, the interplay rules of the game use the player's input to determine what actually happens. While I can't control what Apollo asks when he presses the witnesses, the fact that I can press witnesses on any statement as many times as I like gives me ample opportunity to prove my client innocent. In real law, I don't think Apollo would have made it past the LSATs.

















When Apollo says these three phrases, it's nice to actually hear vocalization for once. Puts an element into the game that helps me connect with the character. The audio in the game is mostly Pokemon-esque midi music, with the exception of the insane guitar riffs brought on by Prosecutor Gavin's theatrics. God, I wish I was allowed to throw the evidence in my court record at people's heads. Like that lamp with the broken bulb I was carrying around (or at least it's assumed I'm carrying it around, because I am somehow able to analyze it whenever I please. This, of course, is a game rule I am quite happy with).






















And speaking of Gavin's theatrics, above is a picture of the prosecutor using air guitar to explain why he wanted the judge to deduct extra points from my status bar if I presented the wrong evidence. While Gavin is probably the hottest thing to ever walk into a courtroom, I don't think he should be telling the judge how to penalize me. The player is allowed to analyze the evidence and present it when the appropriate contradictory testimony arises...but I'm frustrated that I can't actually choose how Apollo explains his evidence. Evaluation rules (which decide which actions are rewarded or punished) come into play when Apollo presents evidence that is not appropriate for the testimony, or he chooses the wrong option to explain in an objection. The following two images show Apollo having to choose options, and then consequences that await his poor status bar when he does something wrong.
















I'm completely fed up with the inability to actually do something wrong in Apollo Justice. It's completely useless to be using the DS touch screen to pour cement into a footprint mold, when there's absolutely no consequence for doing it wrong! So basically, as I mentioned before, the only way to actually lose the Apollo Justice game is to present the wrong evidence four or five times when you're cross-examining in court. The only alternative would be to become so frustrated with the investigation that you turn off the game, yank it out of the DS, and chuck it out the window/into the toilet. Then nobody would get the guilty sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment