Sunday, April 12, 2009

What the heck was Apollo Justice good for?

The strengths of the Apollo Justice game, as with all of the Ace Attorney games, is in the characters and storytelling. I could not have picked a more hilarious and interesting group of characters for a court room if I tried. The hero's journey was well defined in all four cases, and each case had it's own tiny climax that helped build up the background storyline for the final case (which always personally involves main characters in the defendant's chair for some reason. Probably to intensify dramatic tension.) I loves how my attention got shifted constantly throughout the investigation, as the little character driven side quests were always fun and always helped me find evidence for the case.

The characters were my favorite element of the game. Absolutely fantastic. Of course, I've always been a sucker for amazing character-driven stories, so I might be a little biased here. A lot of people enjoy games that allow for good player interaction and gameplay. I, instead, go for the games that can give me the best story of my life without too much complicated controls and gameplay. Good thing there was no time limits either. I would never had been able to investigate everything and learn about all of the characters without doing things at my own pace. Fantasy characters and the anime-like artistic setting allowed for an anime fan like myself to enjoy such a "Visual Novel" type game as Apollo Justice. I did, in fact, learn to love Apollo as the game progressed. And this is important for the creation of a good hero character. If a player feels as though they hate the protagonist, or if the protagonist is not getting anhy better at whatever they do, then the player will feel detatched from the game. This was definietly not the case. Heck, I even started to appreciate the pretty boy rock star antagonist, Klavier Gavin. But mostly because the script's dialogue and character interaction kept me either laughing or on the edge of my seat. Yes, it's totally possible to be on the edge of your seat when playing a handheld videogame.

I would say that the interface for Apollo Justice was strong enough that at least it was worth playing on a Nintendo DS. The adventure-specific features and the ability to save any time were also very appropriate for the type of game. A handheld device is definitely the best platform for a lawyer game that requires the same concentration as a well-developed novel.

1 comment:

  1. good detail about several topics we covered this semester. Interesting that you're so positive - for a few weeks your reviews seemed negative/disappointed

    10/10

    ReplyDelete